Sunday, September 28, 2014

A Trip Down Memory Lane, or, A Love Letter to Bawl-mer

Today was a good day. My wife and I drove up to Baltimore to ride the Tour du Port. We chose the 50 mile Raven Challenge. While that choice of route was based more on the length than the actual course, the loop we rode was ideal.

We were married in May (many years ago) and spent the first summer in Charlottesville, VA. Those three short months were awesome, but we were subletting an apartment full of somebody else's things, so I don't really think of that as our first home together. That fall, we moved to Baltimore, where we spent the next five years. We moved a couple of times, and owned our own home for the first time (and only time so far) there. In the process, we fell in love with Baltimore, which all natives know is more correctly pronounced "Bawlmer".

Today's ride led us past many of the highlights of our time in Charm City. We started at the waterfront in the Canton neighborhood and rode north through the city. First we passed GBMC, the hospital where our first child was born. That was a harrowing night saved by quick thinking by my wife and a doctor who was willing to actually listen to suggestions from a patient.

Next we rode through the Johns Hopkins University campus, right past the lab where my wife earned her PhD. For me the highlight was riding past Homewood Field and the Lacrosse Museum, but the PhD is much more impressive. :) Continuing north, we followed strangely color-changing chalk arrows through the campus of Loyola University in Maryland. It was called Loyola College when I got my MEd there years ago. That brought back many memories of two of the greatest professors I have ever had, Dr. Erford and Dr. Vinson. They were about as different as possible, but both really made me think in different ways.

The next few highlights of the ride are a little less specific. We rode through beautiful neighborhoods in north central Baltimore filled with houses that I will never be able to afford, but I love the fact that there are still such nice neighborhoods that close to the city's center. Crossing over the Beltway, we rode through horse farms, vineyards, and across the Loch Raven Reservoir. All of them were absolutely beautiful. Again, it is shocking that such incredibly bucolic scenes are within a few miles of the city center.

On the way back through the city, we rode past the first apartment that my wife and I shared on our own (other than the Charlottesville sublet). We debated taking a detour to ride through the complex and check out our old place, but decided there wasn't time. I kept picturing the small hill next to our back patio that we covered with pansies that first year.

We even rode past the animal shelter where we adopted one of our first cats - the earliest editions to our family.

Finally, we rode through Morgan State University. On our way to work for that first year, we drove past MSU every day and never stopped to get to know the campus. Riding through today we realized that it is a beautiful school with an incredible library.

Today I fell in love with Baltimore all over again. I realize that my feelings are completely tainted by nostalgia, but that's okay. Were there bad things about our time in Baltimore? Of course! The magic of nostalgia is that those things fade away and I can focus on the positives. I fully believe that this would not happen if the positives didn't heavily outweigh the negatives, though.

I remember Baltimore as a beautiful city full of friendly, down-to-earth people and it holds so many happy memories for me. Today's experience solidified those impressions. I have been very lucky to live a charmed life and a visit to Charm City was a terrific reminder of just how lucky I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment