Saturday, May 21, 2011

Nothing thoughtful or challenging here

Usually I like to delude myself into thinking that this blog will cause me to think a little more deeply about things I'm confronting in my life; that is simply not the case here. The entire point of this blog is that it was a great day, and maybe if I record that here, I can come back and read it sometime when it is not such a great day.


This weekend has been looming for a while now because it is SO busy. One thing I've been fighting about myself the past couple of years is that I would often rather be bored than busy. That is not the person I was when I was younger, and is not really the person I want to be today, but that's the way it often is. Yesterday was a big day with Mark's choral concert midday (he was incredible!), a meeting with my Headmaster about a statistics project he asked me to do, and finally Layne's birthday sleepover last night. This morning, Mark had a soccer game at 9:00, both kids had rock climbing practice at 10:00 (we ended up skipping that), then we hosted a baby shower for our kids' favorite teacher this afternoon. Meanwhile, my school made the state championship game for boys' lacrosse, and we were hosting that game here on our home field.

I dread this kind of busy day, but it turned out to be a terrific day. The soccer team played really well. The shower went great, and the cake Layne made was awesome! We won the state championship in lacrosse, and I even had time to take Mark to watch part of the game. In the end, we still had time for a relaxed dinner on the back porch and card playing late into the evening with the family. Tomorrow we start with Bike DC, when several of the major streets of Washington are closed to cars and only open to bikes, then another soccer game and a soccer party. It will be another busy day, but another awesome day too. Usually it's the negative things in life that really make you think about what's important to you, but a day like today does the same thing. Today was all about family, friends, and going out of the way to let our kids' teacher know that she is loved and appreciated. How could any other day make you think more about what's important in life? In the words of the great Scott Trufant (and beer ads from the '90s) - Guys, it just doesn't get any better than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment